More than 40 million rounds of golf are played in Florida every year, and Tampa is a main reason as to why. With year-round play and a multitude of great courses, it is easy to see why this city, perhaps more than any other, competes as the Sunshine State's Golf Capitol. Looking to Rent Clubs in Tampa? Checkout ClubHub's Golf Club Rentals in Tampa and Florida.
1. World WoodsCome play 36 holes on what course designer Tom Fazio called "my best work." With two of the ‘top 10’ public access golf courses in Florida on the same property, it is a ‘golfers paradise’. In 2010, the Rolling Oaks greens were renovated with Tifteagle which has created wonderful putting surfaces. The Pine Barrens has a Floradwarf grass, a strand of dwarf grass that also provides consistent putting surfaces making an exceptional 36 hole experience.
2. Innisbrook Resort - Copperhead CourseThe Copperhead Course is probably best known thanks to the PGA Tour’s Transitions Championship Tournament that attracts some of the best golfers each year – but it also has excellent conditions, some very fun holes, and a few holes that are very challenging. Once you've completed the first 14, your biggest challenge awaits. The last four holes - Snake Bite, Moccasin, The Rattler, and The Copperhead - have a nasty bite with strategically placed bunkers, challenging green complexes, dog legs with tight fairways and some of the toughest approach shots in the golf world.
Cost: $250 - $275
3. Black Diamond RanchHere you'll find the famed Tom Fazio-designed Quarry Course, which has a stretch of holes on the back nine as spectacular as anything in Florida. You can also play The Ranch Course, which many locals actually prefer, and even the nine-hole Highlands Course. You have to stay there to play, unless you're with a member, but the packages aren't unreasonable, especially for groups.
4. Pebble Creek Golf ClubThis golf course has 18 unique holes, each with its own natural features. Lakes, creeks and woodlands provide a beautiful backdrop and blend with the course design to produce an exceptional golf experience.
Cost: $18 - $35
5. TPC Tampa BayDesigned by Bobby Weed in consultation with tour professional Chi Chi Rodriguez, TPC Tampa Bay is known as one of the toughest courses in Florida. Although a relatively flat course, many of the greens have considerable drop-offs so a missed shot will have you chipping back on. Bring your "A" game if you want to tee it up like the pros.
Cost: $89 - $189
6. Cheval Golf and Athletic ClubLocated 20 minutes north of downtown, the course is located in an exclusive gated neighborhood lending a private feel to the clubhouse and restaurant.
Cost: $51 - $80
7. Westchase Golf ClubWestchase Golf Club uses its setting as a former wetland and reserve to its advantage, winding its way through a variety of native Floridian terrain. This course has the advantage of a convenient location. It's only a short jump from downtown, making it a good bet for someone playing hooky from a business meeting.
Cost: $21 - $84
8. The Eagles Golf ClubThe Eagles has two courses that weave in and out of native Florida scenery and wildlife, all within a short drive from downtown. The Forest Course demands precise shot-making and course management. Over 7,000 yards "from the tips" the Lakes Course provides a more traditional look and feel than the Forest Course. It takes accurate ball striking and length to successfully navigate this interesting layout.
Cost: $18 - $67
9. The Claw at USFA certified Audubon animal sanctuary. It's not uncommon to see gators, deer, and many varieties of birds here. The Claw offers a distinct layout that seamlessly winds through moss draped oaks and towering pines on pristine Florida preservation land.
Cost: $13 - $27
10. Rocky Point Golf CourseTwelve of the holes have water in play and the course can get quite windy, adding to the challenge. Other challenges on this course include some blind shots. If you have never played here it can be tricky figuring out the direction of a few of the holes and where to aim.
Cost: Dynamic pricing -- $18 and up
11. Fox Hollow Golf ClubAs one of Robert Trent Jones Sr.’s last designs, Fox Hollow Golf Club opened it’s doors in 1994. The course has grown and developed into one of the premier semi-private golf facilities in Florida.
12. Lake Jovita Golf ClubThe Lake Jovita 220-acre South course, was designed by US Open Champion Tom Lehman and golf course architect Kurt Sandness. The strategy behind this course was simple: to take full advantage of the uniquely hilly terrain and create a golf course that is professional tour quality in every sense. The North course, designed by Kurt Sandness, is more wide open than the south and features stunning vistas and huge undulating greens.
Cost: $35 - $67
13. Terrace Hill Golf ClubTampa’s only lighted golf course. This is a great place to work on your short game. The course's fairways and greens are well kept. And, with the lights, you can play almost 24-7.
Phone: 813-985-GOLF (4653)
Cost: $9 - $16
14. Rogers Park Golf CourseThis course, built in 1952, has evolved into one of Tampa's best-kept secrets. Located just 20 minutes from downtown Tampa, the 160-acre golf facility is surrounded on three sides by the Hillsborough River.
Cost: $16 - $32
15. Diamond Hill Golf ClubThe 18-hole "Diamond Hill" course opened in 1969 and features 6,920 yards of golf. Designed by Chic Adams, the Diamond Hill golf course has a rating of 71.9.