With nearly year-round sunshine and cool coastal breezes, Houston's golf courses are the perfect getaway to escape the hum-drum of everyday corporate life.
1. Golf Club of Houston Tournament CourseThe Tournament Course hosts the Shell Houston Open, where the world's top players vie for excellence on the Rees Jones/David Toms-designed course. The Tournament Course at Golf Club of Houston is one of only 11 public courses across the country that hosts a PGA TOUR event.
Phone: 281-833-8463 (281.TEE.TIME)
2. Cypresswood Golf ClubJust north of downtown Houston only minutes away from Bush Intercontinental Airport, lies what the course's marketing gurus bill as "a mecca of golf." Indeed, deep in the heart of Texas, amidst Cypresswood's lush greens, rolling fairways, and dense, native cypress trees you'll find a 36-Hole golf facility offering two unique golf experiences.
Cost: $29 - $79
3. BlackHorse Golf ClubConsidered one of the top public courses in the state of Texas. With two 18 Hole courses that provide landscapes like nowhere else in the Houston area, BlackHorse Golf Club is as challenging as it is beautiful.
4. Memorial Park Golf CourseVisited by more than 60,000 patrons each year, Memorial Park Golf Course is known as one of the best municipal courses in the nation. Through the years, the course has hosted many famous golfers, including Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Jimmy Demaret. It was the home of the Houston Open from 1951 to 1963. In 1994.
Cost: $10 - $40
5. Golf Trails of The WoodlandsOriginally designed by Joe Lee and Robert von Hagge in 1975, the Oaks course was redesigned by Jay Morrish & Associates in 1999. The renovation gave the course new contours, water features, and over 20 acres of wildflowers.
Cost: $38 - $88
6. Augusta PinesThe front nine at Augusta Pines is inspired by the storied back nine at Augusta National, a string of holes imprinted on the national consciousness by The Masters. The layout's incoming nine borrows from Pinehurst No. 2, Oakland Hills, and other classics, though the holes are inspirations, not cookie-cutter copies.
Cost: $69 - $85
7. Gleannloch Pines Golf ClubFormerly known as Gleannloch Farms, the natural landscape and towering trees are reminiscent of famed courses in Scotland and Ireland.
Cost: $29 - $69
8. Eagle Pointe Golf ClubRolling terrain and elevation changes make Eagle Pointe very different and extremely unique from most Houston area courses. The course features rolling fairways framed by tall pines. Since 2014, Eagle Pointe has played host to the Texas Senior Open.
Cost: $29 - $60
9. Hermann Park Golf CourseBuilt in 1922, Hermann Park Golf Course was the first public course in America to welcome all races. It is an oak-lined oasis in the heart of Houston. Golf Digest's Places to Play column rates the course at 3.5 stars.
Cost: $12.50 - $24
10. Magnolia Creek Golf ClubGet ready for rolling hills and deep bunkers on this 27-hole, links-style course. Each of the three nines has disctinctive features representing the best of the British Isles, including holes to mimick St. Andrews, North Burwick and Royal Country Downs.
11. Meadowbrook Farms Golf ClubDesigned by golfing great Greg Norman, the par-72 course is nestled among a multitude of hardwood trees, creeks, lakes, and wetlands terrain.
Cost: $49 - $89
12. Moody Gardens Golf CourseFormerly the Galveston Municipal Golf Course, Moody Gardens features a $16 million comprehensive renovation by the renowned course architects of Jacobsen Hardy Golf Course Design. Revealed in June 2008, the Moody Gardens course still features the best historical aspects of the original layout.
Cost: $36 - $79
13. Wildcat Golf ClubOn both The Highlands Course, with a bit of a Scottish flair, and the more traditional Lakes Course, renowned architect Roy Case has combined playability with exciting challenges
Cost: $33 - $82
14. Woodforest Golf ClubDesigned by the PGA’s own Steve Elkington, Woodforest features 27 holes on a spacious course carved through the majestic pines and towering oaks of Northwest Houston.
Cost: $50 - $90
15. Grand Lake Estates Golf CourseThis 27-hole complex sits entirely within Grand Lake Estates, and is consistently billed as one of the most beautiful in the Lone Star State.
Cost: $35 - $46